Thursday, May 18, 2006

"I'm caucasian."

At least the last time I checked. Yup, just this morning. Although while living in Florida I may have had more of a tan than I do now, I'm still caucasian. Checked that box off on many a form throughout my life.

My company recently merged with a competitor and we are finished upgrading all of our letterhead, envelopes, etc. Now they have finally gotten around to updating our security badges too! So I went into the office today to exchange my current badge with the new one. As I waited in line with my colleagues those that had just received theirs were making comments on the photos. Of course, I mentioned out loud that I hoped they would take a little weight off my image. The guy in front of me looked at his and said, "Yup. They did for me."

When I got the ID I immediately noticed my name spelled correctly. Afterall, we Bauer's are very familiar with spelling our last name because everyone we talk to seems to assume it's spelled the more common form "Bower". Well, I then looked at the photo and said, again out loud, "The names spelled right but the photo's wrong. (with a pause for effect) I'm caucasian!"

Sure enough they had some image of a black person I didn't recognize on my ID badge. They of course apologized and took back the ID with the promise to call me when it is ready. Made for a funny way to start my day and a quick process in getting an ID! Almost!

1 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Pete Bauer said...

Steve, we've seen you without your shirt. You're DEFINITELY caucasian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home