Thursday, September 13, 2007

Only a Dad

There are times when I need to re-read the following poem by Edgar Guest (1891 – 1959). It’s best read with a cup of Gevelia’s Raspberry Chocolate coffee, a healthy dose of Coffee-mate and a touch of sugar. It is even BETTER to add a few Pepperidge Farms Milano dark chocolate cookies too.

I thought other Dad’s who may not be familiar with Guest’s work would appreciate it.

Only a Dad
by Edgar Guest

Only a dad with a tired face,
Coming home from the daily race,
Bringing little of gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game;
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.

Only a dad with a brood of four,
One of ten million men or more
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Bearing the whips and the scorns of life,
With never a whimper of pain or hate,
For the sake of those who at home await.

Only a dad, neither rich nor proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way,
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.

Only a dad but he gives his all,
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men.

As the aroma of the coffee penetrates my senses and the dark chocolate Milano dissolves in my mouth, I think of my own Dad. My Dad is a wonderful man. A man of great integrity! At 82 years young he represents for me all the good things we imagine in a father. Every Dad should be like my Dad. When I was a child he was fair, just, a disciplinarian and a fantastic teacher. Patient with us beyond my own ability to sustain. Wise with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit he provided guidance as I grew up and gave direction to my life. Conservative in nature, brought on by the effects of the Great Depression and building his own home with little disposable money. I can remember searching the ground around our home for nails to finish a job we were doing, watching him straighten them and hammering in even the most crooked of them. All the while wondering, “Why don’t we just go get some new nails?” This conservative approach to life never stopped him from giving us a banana split at the local ice cream shoppe when we ourselves accomplished a great feat or difficult task! Even today I can’t throw out a nail whether I need it or not. Today I take my youngest daughter out on a date occasionally, as I did her older siblings, to spend personal one-on-one time just to show I care, like my Dad did.

How do you thank a man who provided for his family without complaint? Who was there when you needed him but wise enough to step back when you needed to try 'your way'? No words can express this feeling of gratitude I have for the opportunity to be his son, under his tutelage, feeling my way through this world that challenges me daily. How do you thank the man that provided the most profound, eternal direction in your life…pointing the way toward Jesus? Standing behind me, turning me in the right direction and with a little nudge saying, “Go this way each day son!” And as I step forward each day, I turned to him in my thoughts only to see Jesus there too, with His arm on my Dad’s shoulder, happy with his efforts!

There is a funny family story we tell about a time when we were all complementing my Dad on his positive qualities. I remained quiet while listening to others. When I was asked what I had to say I sat upright and said robotically, “Charlie Bauer’s great! Charlie Bauer’s great!” It got a big laugh. Now, after having many miles of life’s road behind me I realize I misjudged him. Today I’d say, “Charlie Bauer the Great!”

Dad – know that you are loved beyond words.

2 Comments:

At 9/17/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Pete Bauer said...

Very touching Steve. Dad is a wonderful teacher and was able to get down and talk to us on our level. It amazes me how many times I think of something he said or quote the same sentence to my children. A great role model.

And Mom, too. Her humor, her unconditional love, her ability to prioritize life's events into ways that make sense. We had so little "crisis" moments in our childhood. We are very blessed.

 
At 9/18/2007 10:25 PM, Blogger Paul said...

What a great tribute to Dad. I was thinking of you and Dad this weekend during the story of the prodigal son. The priest, during his sermon, said that the father ran toward his returning son. The image that immediately came to me was of Dad running and jumping into your arms when you surprised us with a visit from the army. It was a wonderful expression of a father's love for his son and a son's love for his father.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home