Sunday, August 31, 2008

6 Special Quirks

I have been tagged by my niece Catherine on her blog and as such I will need to post 6 Unspectacular Quirks. I’ve chosen ‘Special’ quirks because they are mine and I’m special!

6 “Special” Quirks

1. As any member of my family can tell you, I can’t tell a joke for the life of me! I seem to be the only one who thinks I’m funny! After all, I’m the only one laughing.

2. I can crack the knuckles in my toes by simply curling my toes as hard as I can.
It’s fun to hear my three precious girls…Theresa, Stephanie, and Marie moan and groan. Marie is the only one that is truly curious about how I do that!

3. I use Coffee-mate in my coffee and I can’t stand the fact that the powder gets stuck to the inside of the cup above the coffee line!
I drink a lot of coffee and to keep from using a lot of spoons I purchase stirrers to stir my coffee. Then I toss them out! My contribution to water conservation. So I use the stirrer to capture this unsightly powder and scrap it into the coffee. Then I’m happy. Well, except for the fact that I now have a semi-dissolved clump of Coffee-mate on my stirrer…what do I do with that!

4. I take after Mom in that I love solitaire.
Any kind. When I was in high school soooo many years ago I competed in gymnastics. Before leaving home to go to any meet I had to play solitaire until I won. Made me feel better! Mom had some type of board that could be placed on your lap and I’d sit in a chair and play on that board.

5. I say ‘Holy mackerel!’ a lot.
I say it so often I don’t even HEAR me saying it! Holy mackerel!

6. I have an uncanny ability to go to a place once and remember how to get back to that same place!
I remember shapes, colors, overall appearances to the specific location and even when I am the least sure of how to get there, I get there. It drives my wife nuts which, of course, puts a smile on my face! When we moved to Atlanta I had spent a lot of time looking around the area for a house on my own. When we finally got a real estate agent involved I’d be able to tell her what was coming up in those areas ahead of time. It drove her nuts because she had lived here a long time and was never sure where she was. And, of course, that put a smile on my face! I attribute this skill to the grace of God and my years doing gymnastics…had to know where I was in space and time at all times!

Chris, Meghan, Cassie, Walter Edward... it's your turn!

Here are the directions:

1. Link the person who tagged you
2. Mention the rules on your blog
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them & leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they have been tagged. (For this rule, I only have 4 bloggers)

8 Comments:

At 9/01/2008 8:08 AM, Blogger c.a.b. said...

I can do number 2 as well!! We must be related. And I have many memories of you saying number 5. It's great :)

 
At 9/02/2008 7:52 AM, Blogger Pete Bauer said...

I can do #2 as well, but not the one you're talking about.

I used to love playing solitaire, but it doesn't really occur to me anymore. I still love to play when I do, but just don't play as much.

I stink at getting places. Awful. If my wife is driving or if I've only been somewhere once, I can't remember how to get back there. That totally drives the Mrs. nuts. I'm like "that was six months ago... do you know how many other places I've driven since then?" Of course, I probably forgot how to get to those places too.

 
At 9/02/2008 6:53 PM, Blogger Paul said...

No. 1: You just say what other people think. Of course those other people aren't funny either.

No. 2: Cracking toes... wow. I am jealous.

No. 3: Coffee blows. I am glad you are obsessing over it. I say that with a lot of piss and vinegar because I remember how you used to buy coffee ice cream in Tewksbury so we younger kids wouldn't eat it. Very evil...

No. 4: I love solitaire as well. It was the first game I bought for my new cell phone. I remember that lap board as well. To this day I still wish I had one.

No. 5: I find myself using a couple of sayings repeatedly. What is stupid is that I started saying some of them as jokes to my friends, and I am still saying them even though I have moved away from those same friends. I am stupid.

No. 6: I to have a good sense of direction, but I am not sure I can do what you do. I guess you have a pigeon brain (homing pigeon, that is). You probably developed your skills while delivering papers and running through the woods.

 
At 9/02/2008 7:18 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

C.a.b - I actually overheard myself using it in a store this past weekend! Weird.

Pete- #2 huh? Congratulations! I hope everything came out alright!

Paul - Still sore about the coffee ice cream huh? Well, it was my hard earned money right? I may have had to share but I didn't have to share it all!

Pigeon brain! I love that. Hold on, maybe that's why I feel the need to preen occasionally.

 
At 9/02/2008 8:39 PM, Blogger Paul said...

You don't see the word 'preen' used in enough sentences these days.

 
At 9/04/2008 1:31 PM, Blogger Pete Bauer said...

Unfortunately for Steve, "preen" is his go-to word.

"I need to preen before going to church."

"Tacos make me want to preen."

"Preen you!"

Personally, I find it foul. Yup, that's my impersonation of a "Steve" joke.

 
At 9/05/2008 8:02 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

Preen this...It's my obligation to educe from you the humor that lies within. I feel I'm responsible for the edjamakation of mankind! Of course, that leaves you out!

 
At 9/07/2008 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Steve - You and I have No. 6 in common. The ultimate test for me would be to return to the same city in a foreign country and see if I can remember how to get to some favorite spots. Maybe one day I will find out.

As for the coffee, I have no idea how you can stand using powdered creamer at all! Because it doesn't mix well, it drives me nuts - so I have shunned powdered Coffee Mate. Personal quirk for me: I think they should take that stuff off the shelves but Uncles keep buying it! :-)

6894,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home