Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sheets Of Life

I did some house cleaning in my home office today. I needed to because I wanted to get organized so I could have an efficient office space as I start my new job. A funny thing happened while I was cleaning out files… I ran across my life! For real! Pieces of my life were condensed into a set of Pendaflex files! Insensitive leaflets of life. Sheets of life! Here’s just a short list of what I found:
  • A paystub from my first employer in Clearwater, FL
  • Printed emails from coworkers in the company I worked for in Tampa
  • A letter of recommendation from the CEO of the start-up company I helped get underway in Atlanta and info on the amount of severance I received from them
  • Hundreds of letters I wrote to a wide variety of employers as I struggled to get out of the unemployment line during difficult economic times
  • Mortgage information during a refinancing effort
  • A cartoon I drew after I had completed an exercise to determine what type of work I’d be passionate about
  • An article from Scott Hahn titled ‘The Fourth Cup’,
  • Blank labels to prepare yet another folder of life’s little sheets
  • Plans for constructing an outdoor barbeque and a miter saw table (not together…um, let’s see. What a combo! Barbeque grill w/miter saw table! The images this conjures up can be rather scary!)
  • Old resumes needing serious updates
  • Death certificates of my in-laws - needed to file insurance and property claims
  • Mother’s Day cards with cute sayings from the kids
  • Instructions for assembling a model of the U.S.S. Constitution.

These eight and one half by eleven sheets of paper represent events in my life that define, in part, who I am today. I’m sure you’ve heard about how people have a vision of their entire life passing before their eyes while going through a near death experience. As I leafed through the papers deciding what to keep and what to toss I was struck by all that it represented. I was equally impressed by how much emotional pain and struggle could NOT be gleaned from these sheets of life. How one represented a great experience while another a tragic event full of tears and agony. These sheets of life in a drawer in my office witnessed the rising and setting of the sun for years on end while I had moved on to the events of today. They witnessed the passing from one event in life to the next that only a few could appreciate. Now, during one of the better times, I can look back, reflect and toss all that away because it simply doesn’t matter now.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10/25/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Chris said...

It is always amazing what you can find when trying to clean up.. I have found a box of files, that I have not opened since I packed them up back in 2002. Finding letters and stuff from date prior to moving to Georgia.. make you think how the people are doing that you left behind...

 
At 10/31/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger Pete Bauer said...

I'm always amazed at how much I feel I have forgotten and how quickly the memories flood back when come across something like a file of papers, stuff like that. Weird, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home